To insure the safety of students riding the school bus all riders must abide by BUSD rules & regulations, Federal laws and California state laws.
CALIFORNIA STATE LAWS (SECTION TITLE 5 C.C.R.) “AUTHORITY OF THE BUS DRIVER” STATES:
“Pupils transported in a school bus shall be under the authority of, and responsible to, the driver of the bus and the driver shall be held responsible for the orderly conduct of the pupils while they are on the bus or being escorted across a street, highway, or road. Continued disorderly conduct or persistent refusal to submit to the authority of the driver shall be sufficient reason for a pupil to be denied transportation in accordance with regulations of the governing board of the District.” Being transported in a school bus is A PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT.
For the safety of everyone aboard, the driver must be able to devote full attention to the road. Unnecessary conversation with the driver or any creation of a disturbance is not allowed. In addition, for the safety of the students and the drivers; buses are equipped with cameras. Recordings will be reviewed if a safety concern arises.
- Follow the school bus driver’s instructions at all times. Seating may be assigned.
- Show respect to the driver and your fellow students.
- Harassment, profanity, vulgarity or obscene gestures will not be tolerated.
- Emergency exits or driver controls are only to be used in an emergency.
- Behave in an orderly manner while waiting for the school bus.
- Please arrive at the assigned pick-up point at least five minutes but not more than ten minutes before bus arrival time.
- When the bus approaches, students must stand in a single file line at least twelve feet back from where bus stops. Do not move toward the bus until it has come to a complete stop and the driver has opened the door.
- Enter the bus and take your seat in an orderly manner.
- Remain properly seated, facing forward, keeping your hands to yourself.
- Talk quietly, making no noise that would distract the driver or disturb others.
- Wait until the bus is completely stopped, and the brake is set, before standing.
- Depart the bus in an orderly manner.
- If crossing, follow the driver’s instructions.
- Take pride in your school bus. Keep it safe and clean.
- Do not damage seats or equipment.
- All parts of the body must be kept inside the bus. Objects shall not be thrown inside or from the school bus.
- Shoes, shirts and pants/shorts/dress/skirt must be worn at all times.
The following are not allowed on school bus, at bus stops or on school property.
- Animals (mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, rodents, etc.)
- Glass objects, skateboards, scooters, aerosol cans of any type
- Matches, lighters, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, prescription medicine, over the counter medicine
- Knives, switchblades, pocket knife, guns, scissors, rope, any sharp or pointed objects, pepper spray
- Pornographic material/literature
- Intimate behavior of any kind is allowed on the school bus.
- Any overall harmful objects or action.